Apply Today to Join the Network
“In my 17 years of teaching, Need in Deed is the only organization I’ve worked with that gives teachers the tools as well as the focus to help students find their voices through meaningful exploration and inspiring service.”- NID Network Teacher
Need in Deed provides professional development for 3rd - 8th grade teachers in Philadelphia schools. We provide free training and support to bring service-learning and community engagement into classrooms.
Using our My Voice framework, our training includes approximately 35 hours of formal training over the course of the school year, as well as a 2-day institute in the summer. Teachers receive one-on-one project support and coaching throughout the school year. Teachers who apply and are accepted join a network of professionals dedicated to bringing service-learning to their classroom.
We are looking for classrooms where teachers:
- believe in each student's capacity to excel
- want to incorporate student voice
- want to teach core curriculum standards in a real-world context that is meaningful and relevant to students’ lives
- want to connect the classroom to the wealth of resources, skills and knowledge available in our city
- have strong classroom management skills
If you are a 3rd - 8th grade teacher in a District or Charter school in Philadelphia, click here
- Note: The online application will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.
If you are an administrator in a School District of Philadelphia school, contact Program Director Kyra Atterbury at to determine the best way to work with teachers in your school..
If you are an administrator in a Charter school in Philadelphia, contact Program Director Pam Prell at to determine the best way to work with teachers in your school.
Thanks for your interest in Need in Deed’s Teacher Network, and we look forward to hearing from you!